Monday, March 29, 2010

The confidence is telling

My trip last week to Tirupati to fulfill a long-standing vow was an eye-opener. I had mentioned a part of it in yesterday's blog. The other thing that amazed me was the confidence of the rural people in eking out a living.
I was on my way back to Chennai and happened to witness and hear a discussion between an old woman and a middle-aged guy. Both were on their way to Ekambara Kuppam from Tirupathi.
The guy runs a small eatery there and sees a boom in his own small way in his business of selling bajjis (a batter of chick pea powder deep fried after raw banana, green chilli, potato or onion is dipped in it). The woman asked him about his business. He was telling her that his assistant was reporting business running into nearly Rs 750-900 a day.
It is doing well. I think I need to buy things from here (Tirupathi). That will help me a lot. His statement made sense because the price of chickpea powder was cheaper than in Ekambara Kuppam where the price will tend to be higher with a few shops in view of it being a remote area.
"I have asked the price. I think I can earn 30 paise for every one rupee. That's enough for me. I can easily get the business touching Rs 1,000 a day soon," he told the lady.
That means a business turnover of Rs 30,000 a month at a small eatery. That only affirms my unshaken belief that any business that has connection to food will definitely do well. A 30 per cent gain in Rs 30,000 turnover is Rs 9,000. Not bad when the guy puts in just four hours of hardwork!
Today, food is proving to be a big business. And it will continue to be because India is expanding as also its population and average income. But its potential is yet to be tapped fully.
The woman told the guy to start selling masala bondas. "People will simply lap it up. I had done that early and I got good income. If I light up the stove at 4 pm, it will go on uninteruppted till at least 6.30 pm," she said, looking back at her progress.
Both of them have a mobile phone, an essential for any Indian today, and the guy even called up a relative to take money from him to pay some dues including for the next month. As he was going to his shop, he was also taking with him some 5 kg of chillies to make bajji.
We haven't included the turnover that cups of tea will get at such outlets. Many Indians wash their throat at least thrice with tea or coffee. Then there is also the case of soft drinks being sold frequently during a day, especially during hot days.
That means good business and good margins. That leaves us with one question. The rural entrepreneur seems to be confidence personified. He, without any study, is sure of how his business will do. How many of our corporates are sure of the demand for their product from the rural areas? And why haven't many succeeded in marketing in the rural areas, save a few? Turn to the rural entrepreneur guys. He is your guide.

1 comment:

  1. Let it be that way, so that rural entrepreneur survive, if corprates enter rural there will be many big Macs

    ReplyDelete